Dr Cranstoun ('Cranny') set up practice in Worplesdon in 1922, from a house called Hollow Trees opposite the Worplesdon Place Hotel. This remained the surgery until 1961.
He was joined in 1946 by Dr John Moir and in 1952 by Dr Robert Harwood who practised from Wyke Cottage in Normandy. Dr Anthony Hillard joined in 1958, taking over from Dr Cranstoun upon his retirement in 1960. 'Cranny' died in 1972; one of the roads in Keens Park is named after him.
The partners moved to the surgery at 21 Fairlands Road in 1961. The practice grew rapidly and additional partners were needed. Dr Hugh Foster joined in 1966 followed by Dr John Nichols in 1973.
In 1981 Robert Harwood died aged 58. John Moir retired in 1982, aged 70, and died a year later. In their place Dr David Laurence and Dr Jonathan Norris joined the partnership in 1982.
By this time the old Fairlands Surgery was getting overcrowded and it was decided to build a branch surgery at Glaziers Lane in Normandy which opened in 1988. Dr Hilary Trigg joined as a sixth partner in 1987 and was our first female partner. Dr Foster took early retirement in 1991 and was replaced by Dr Christopher Lukaszewicz. Dr Hillard retired in 1993 and was succeeded by Dr Timothy Arnold.
The current Fairlands Medical Centre was opened in 1998 with assistance from the community of the Fairlands Estate in Guildford along with many other organisations. This building was designed to be large enough to accommodate a wide range of services for our patients alongside the medical practice. Currently these include a pharmacy, dental practice, physiotherapy, osteopathy and counselling services.
In 2002 Dr Marty McKendry and Dr Sarah Dobbs joined the practice after Dr Nichols and Dr Laurence retired. Dr Dobbs left in 2012 and in 2013 two new female partners - Dr Fiona Cochrane and Dr Kerry Angiolini - joined the practice.